Thursday 23 January 2014

Holiday Gift Exchange: The Writing Prompt

At the end of last year, the writing group I joined at the local library had a holiday gift exchange.  The catch was that gifts had to be writing prompts, objects, words or some combination thereof designed to spur ideas for a writer.  After an anonymous gift exchange, I ended up with a lovely little Christmas card, with a passage written within, which I've reproduced below.  It's an evocative passage, chock full of possibilities.

The story that I wrote garnered a positive response from the group (a good sign, as they are thorough and incisive critics) and once I'm done final edits, I'll put the results up in a later post and expand a bit on the thinking that took me from the prompt to the full story.

What story ideas come to mind for you?

You've been troubled by insomnia and your grandson suggests you smoke a little weed with him. You are desperate so you agree.
You fall asleep easily. Soon you are dreaming of the time when you were twelve and so delirious with fever that your parents called that faith healer, grandma swore by.
You can't get her chanting out of your head, it is driving you mad.
You sit up, wide awake and your mother exclaims, "It's a miracle!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment